East Bay News
Piedmont school tarnished by "fantasy slut league"
PIEDMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- Piedmont High School is well known for its high academic standards. It's ranked third in the state on student test scores. But now, its reputation is tarnished because of a lurid controversy -- a sex game played by some students.
This is the first day back at Piedmont since the principal sent parents a shocking letter describing the school's recent discovery of "a 'Fantasy Slut League' in which our female students (unbeknownst to most of them) are drafted as part of the league...Male students earn points for documented engagement in sexual activities with female students."
"Hopefully it opened up conversations with a lot of families in town because we should be thinking about what our kids are doing and holding them responsible for behavior that's not appropriate," parent Tami Becker said.
The school says there's no indication anyone was forced to participate in the league or that any crimes were committed, but they continue to investigate.
Principal Rich Kitchens says he has alerted police.
"We don't have specific identities yet and without specific identities there's not much you can do and also this is largely, if not totally, off-campus behavior," Kitchens said.
Kitchens says whistleblowers tell him the league has been in play for years mostly involving varsity athletes with peer pressure and alcohol as factors.
Students willing to talk say it is demeaning.
"I think it's kind of abuse of women; I don't really like it, it's kind of like bullying," student Zoe Daffner said.
Other students say while a point system is repulsive, teenage sex is a societal issue not just a Piedmont High School issue.
"It always comes back to how do we educate students and to have further conversations with the community," Assistant Superintendent Randall Booker said.
The school now has educational assemblies planned.
"I think an assembly is the first step to take a general approach to this," student Matty Specht said.
piedmont, east bay news, carolyn tyler
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Crews placing grass at 49ers' Levi's Stadium
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- SF Mayor pledges to fix public housing elevators 30 min ago
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch