East Bay News
Hercules teacher on leave after pot found in car
HERCULES, Calif. (KGO) -- A Hercules Middle School teacher is out of jail, on bail, accused of having a lot of marijuana and money on campus. Police say they pulled the 66-year-old math and computer teacher out of class after they found his car, idling in the staff parking lot, with a stash of cash and pot in it.
Students and parents arrived at the school Thursday morning, a bit stunned, after teacher Allen Goodman was arrested on drug charges, including possession of a large amount of marijuana for sale.
"I was really upset and had a conversation with my son," said parent Francisco Garcia. "I think, obviously it's not good at all. What kind of example are we teaching our kids?"
Goodman has taught at Hercules Middle School for 12 years. He was arrested Wednesday after police say he left the engine of his grey Honda running in the school's staff parking lot. When a school resource officer checked inside the unlocked car to find out who it belonged to, she discovered more than one pound of marijuana and $4,200 in cash, most of it in twenty dollar bills.
Investigators say after they found the marijuana and cash inside Goodman's car at the school, they went to his home in Walnut Creek and searched it, "And they found additional information that would lead us to believe that he was selling marijuana and that he's also cultivating marijuana, and they also found a large amount of cash," said Hercules Police spokesperson Connie Van Putten.
There was no comment at Goodman's home Thursday. He has been released on bail. Meantime, the West Contra Costa School District has put the teacher on administrative leave, "Kids might be a little shocked to hear about this news," said district spokesperson Martin Trujillo. "The principal and other staff are here, available to talk to the kids as needed."
Police say part of their investigation will be to determine whether Goodman sold any pot to former or current students.
hercules, marijuana, pot bust, drugs, east bay news, laura anthony
- Sheriff: Suspect in Colorado school shooting dead 30 min ago
- Man survives fiery explosion at Hayward home
- EMT killed in fiery crash on I-580 remembered
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Photos: Colorado high school shooting 31 min ago
- Icy roads creating dangerous driving conditions
- Vigils to mark first anniversary of Newtown shooting
- Knife-wielding man arrested for grocery store robbery
- String of water mains break overnight in Millbrae
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Saturday
- roundup: SF stabbing; Water main breaks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday