East Bay News
Allegedly drunk motorcyclist suspected of pedestriansdeath
HAYWARD, Calif. -- A 26-year-old motorcyclist who struck and killed a 66-year-old man walking in Hayward on Oct. 13 is suspected of drunkenly crashing into and killing the pedestrian, according to a Hayward police officer.
Sixty-six-year-old Manuel Herrera, of Hayward, was killed after he was struck by a motorcycle just before 9 p.m. on Oct. 13 near Jackson Street and Silva Avenue, Officer Jason Corsolini said.
Herrera was found lying near the southwest corner of the intersection when officers responded, police said.
The motorcyclist, 26-year-old Dylan Kaneiki, of Hayward, who was wearing a helmet, was ejected from the vehicle and found lying several feet from the intersection, police said.
Both men were taken to Eden Medical Center, where Herrera was pronounced dead, police said.
Kaneiki suffered minor injuries and after his release from the hospital early the next day he was arrested on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter and felony DUI, Corsolini said.
He was booked at Santa Rita Jail in Dublin. He was released on bail Monday, Corsolini said.
Investigators said Kaneiki was allegedly traveling eastbound on Jackson Street at a high speed. Herrera appears to have been walking across Jackson Street within the marked crosswalk on the west side of the intersection when he was struck, police said.
The Alameda County District Attorney's Office is investigating the case before charges are filed, according to spokesman Eamon O'Connor.
hayward, pedestrian struck, DUI, east bay news
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Good Samaritan helps save lives in North Bay fire
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed