East Bay News
Man found guilty in murder of Vallejo musician
VALLEJO, Calif. -- A Santa Rosa man accused of killing Vallejo musician Dewey Tucker in 2010 was found guilty of first-degree murder Friday by a Sonoma County Superior Court jury.
Raul Vega, 20, faced charges for the drive-by shooting death of Tucker on Interstate Highway 80 in Contra Costa County on Jan. 12, 2010, as well as for the killing of Juan Carlos Angel Esparza, 20, at an elementary school in Santa Rosa on Jan. 8, 2011.
The jury deliberated for seven days before returning Friday with a guilty verdict on first-degree murder charges against Vega, who was also convicted of voluntary manslaughter for the death of Esparza.
The jury also found Vega guilty of shooting into an occupied vehicle and of the intentional discharge of a firearm in the case involving Tucker, as well as that the killing was done in furtherance of a criminal street gang.
Tucker, a bass player for hip-hop artist Lauren Hill, was killed in a case of mistaken identity because Vega thought he was a member of a rival gang, prosecutors said.
Vega appeared shocked when the verdict was read and reluctantly agreed to waive time until Nov. 1 to set a date for sentencing.
shooting, CHP, vallejo, east bay news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed 16 min ago
- Another mistake found in BART union contract 19 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water 37 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test 13 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban 16 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
42 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos