East Bay News
Crews train for extreme emergency operations
Hundreds of Bay Area emergency personnel are spending this weekend training for extreme emergency operations.
Training started Saturday morning in more than a dozen cities.
In Hayward, crews practiced rappelling down the side of a building at Cal State East Bay.
Other exercises in the area include a mock airplane hijacking in Oakland, a bridge assault in San Francisco and chemical sabotage in Castro Valley.
The training helps officers gain individual tactical skills and also helps departments coordinate resources.
The exercises are going on across the nation as part of homeland security training.
hayward, castro valley, oakland, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school 18 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate 50 min ago
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained 12 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos