East Bay News
Campaign mailer leads to lawsuit threats
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A campaign mailer is leading to threats of a multi-million dollar lawsuit involving a candidate for Oakland City Attorney.
Longtime Oakland City Councilmember and attorney Jane Brunner held a press conference Sunday to condemn what she calls the "outrageous lie" in a campaign mailer from appointed City Attorney Barbara Parker.
It claims Brunner has been suspended from practicing law, which she says is not true. Brunner says she will file a libel suit against Parker, "There was a short period when I was running for city council in 1995 when I was not practicing law and I was not active, but I was not suspended," Brunner said."
The Parker campaign counters Brunner's suspension is public record, "It's on the California Bar Association's website," said Doug Linney, consultant to the Parker campaign. "People can look it up that she was ineligible to practice law from July 1995 to January 1997."
The Parker campaign contends Brunner can't say she practiced law for 25 years if she was ineligible for 17 months.
oakland, elections, lawsuit, east bay news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area 38 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Gay partner benefits growing at Fortune 500 firms 18 min ago
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela ceremony 45 min ago
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings 59 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial 50 min ago
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos