East Bay News
Man helps the homeless at night in the East Bay
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- In the East Bay, one man spends his nights giving to the homeless with a friendly face and helping hand.
We first met Doug Stewart at an ABC7 Listens meeting in October in Concord. We decided to tag along and see what it's like.
The white SUV is on the move again. It's 9 p.m. on a Thursday night and Stewart is on patrol. He's going to where the homeless live in Central Contra Costa County bringing a friendly face and some items to make life in the street a little easier.
"There is a daytime outreach team, but as far as nights go, I'm the only one for the whole county," said Stewart.
It's a dangerous job that takes Stewart into some tough areas, but it's also rewarding. This night takes him to Todos Santos Plaza in Concord where he hands out supplies to several homeless people.
"He'll pull people out of tents and pull people out of bushes and say 'hey, what do you guys need tonight?'" said a man.
"If no one else is doing this, somebody has to. I mean there has to be somebody here for these people in the middle of the night," said Stewart.
Why he does what he does, and what his family and the police think about it? That's coming up on ABC7 News at 6 p.m..
You can send donations to:
2161 Pomona Ave
Martinez, CA 94553
contra costa county, east bay news, eric thomas
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case