East Bay News
Registrar of voters reassures voters provisional ballots will likely be counted
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A number of registered voters are having issues with voting this morning in Oakland, but officials say their ballots will most likely still be counted.
Cat Brooks, 37, of Oakland, went to her polling location at True Vine Ministries at 896 Isabella St. in West Oakland and was told she wasn't on the list.
"I have been voting at this location for three years," Brooks said.
The poll worker recognized her from past elections, she said, and told her the mix up had been happening all morning.
The Alameda County Registrar of Voters, Dave Macdonald, however, said this is something that happens regularly.
"Every election we have a number of people voting provisional," Macdonald said.
Voters who are not on the roster of registered voters are given the option to vote provisional, Macdonald said. Provisional voters ballots are taken and the voter is verified.
"Almost all provisional ballots end up being counted," Macdonald said.
Brooks said she had heard from other voters at the polling location they also were not on the list, and forced to vote provisional.
A friend of Brooks, who is a poll worker at the East Oakland location at Melrose Elementary School at 1325 53rd Ave., said the same thing was happening there, according to Brooks.
Macdonald, however, said he hasn't heard a thing about any polling issues in Oakland, or throughout Alameda County.
voting, elections, election day, democrats, republicans, barack obama, mitt romney, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 24 min ago
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam 28 min ago
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game 5 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
55 min ago
- Firework thrown into bleachers during...
5 min ago