East Bay News
Moraga district takes back blame on sex abuse victim
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- The Moraga School District is backpedaling tonight in defending itself against a lawsuit by a former student.
Kristen Cunnane, now a UC Berkeley swim coach, is suing the district for covering up her claims of sexual abuse years ago, by two of her teachers.
In its legal response to her lawsuit, the district said Cunnane's own "carelessness or negligence" may have played a role in what happened.
Cunnane told ABC7 News she is outraged by the district's defense.
On Wednesday the district issued a statement apologizing to Cunnane for any anxiety or distress it caused, and directed its attorney to withdraw that line of defense.
walnut creek, moraga, lawsuit, east bay news, lilian kim
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF 7 min ago
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student 8 min ago
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos