East Bay News
Fans gather overnight for Walnut Creek Chick-fil-A opening
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- A protest may take place outside the brand new Chick-fil-A in Walnut Creek Thursday, but Wednesday night it was a chicken love fest. There were people in the drive through lane camping out.
The devoted fans of the chicken chain are pretty intense. They arrived at 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday for a 24-hour marathon. The first 100 people to claim wristbands and stay overnight get meal coupons for 52 free meals.
There was a DJ, free food, and the camaraderie of camping on cement.
"Are you kidding? I am a major raving fan. This makes 27 for me. I travel all over the country for Chick-fil-A," said Monique Hampton, a Chick-Fil-A fan.
"I had a couple of people from Florida show up as well, just to be here and camp out for 24 hours, to get that free Chick-fil-A for a year," said Chick-fil-A manager Brent Allen.
But there are those who despise this chicken chain for the very public anti-gay stance the founder took this summer. So for this restaurant's grand opening Thursday morning, there will be protesters. On their Facebook page, organizers say they want to educate the public about monetary donations made to homophobic and discriminatory organizations.
A protest didn't stop the first 24-hour fans.
"We'll probably play some board games, dream about breakfast biscuits and wake up ready to go," said Daniel Stallsmith, a Chick-Fil-A Fan.
The restaurant will open to the public after the campers clear out at 6:30 a.m. The protest plans to start at 9 a.m.
walnut creek, east bay news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos