East Bay News
Local smokers to get lung screenings, "quit kits" to help them kick the habit
Contra Costa Health Services is gearing up to convince smokers to stub out their cigarettes for good next week during the American Cancer Society's 37th Annual "Great American Smokeout."
Health Services will offer smokers "Quit Kits" at locations throughout the county along with lung health screenings during the annual event designed to help smokers kick the habit. The "Great American Smokeout" is an event that encourages tobacco users to quit smoking for at least 24 hours, if not permanently.
"Quit Kits" will contain items meant to help smokers curb their cravings, including stress balls, cinnamon sticks and coupons for smoking cessation products.
The lung screenings provided yield quick results and can detect early-onset lung disease, health services officials said.
Participants can receive a free "Quit Kit" and get a lung screening from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday at the West County Health Center at 13601 San Pablo Ave. in San Pablo or at the Pittsburg Health Center at 2311 Loveridge Road in Pittsburg.
Kits and screenings will also be offered from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday at Contra Costa Regional Medical Center at 2500 Alhambra Ave. in Martinez or at the Martinez Health Center, located next to the CCRMC.
More information can be found at www.cchealth.org.
smoking, contra costa county, cigarettes, east bay news
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies 37 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos