East Bay News
Local smokers to get lung screenings, "quit kits" to help them kick the habit
Contra Costa Health Services is gearing up to convince smokers to stub out their cigarettes for good next week during the American Cancer Society's 37th Annual "Great American Smokeout."
Health Services will offer smokers "Quit Kits" at locations throughout the county along with lung health screenings during the annual event designed to help smokers kick the habit. The "Great American Smokeout" is an event that encourages tobacco users to quit smoking for at least 24 hours, if not permanently.
"Quit Kits" will contain items meant to help smokers curb their cravings, including stress balls, cinnamon sticks and coupons for smoking cessation products.
The lung screenings provided yield quick results and can detect early-onset lung disease, health services officials said.
Participants can receive a free "Quit Kit" and get a lung screening from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday at the West County Health Center at 13601 San Pablo Ave. in San Pablo or at the Pittsburg Health Center at 2311 Loveridge Road in Pittsburg.
Kits and screenings will also be offered from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday at Contra Costa Regional Medical Center at 2500 Alhambra Ave. in Martinez or at the Martinez Health Center, located next to the CCRMC.
More information can be found at www.cchealth.org.
smoking, contra costa county, cigarettes, east bay news
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Man fatally stabbed on East 20th Street in Oakland 7 min ago
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday