East Bay News
Hiker found dead after apparent fall in Berkeley hills
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A man was found dead from an apparent fall in the Berkeley Hills on Wednesday evening, a University of California at Berkeley police captain said.
UC Berkeley police responded to a report of a hiker who had gone missing from his group near Signpost 15 on Grizzly Peak Boulevard at about 6:30 p.m., Capt. Margo Bennett said.
When police arrived, the hiking group of four told police the fifth member of the group had trekked to a different area had not returned, Bennett said. Police searched the area and found the man down the hillside.
Bennett said police learned from the group that the man and another hiker had started to climb a large rock in the area. The second hiker had left the man to return to the group, but the victim stayed by the rock, she said.
Bennett said it appears the victim fell from the rock. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The man's name has not been released, but police said he was in his mid-20s.
The members of the group said they had been drinking prior to the apparent accident, the captain said.
"It's never a good idea to drink and do any physical activity," Bennett said.
The apparent fall occurred on UC Berkeley property in the hills, but none of the group members are affiliated with UC Berkeley, she said.
Berkeley fire was called to assist police. The incident remains under investigation.
oakland, berkeley, east bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse 30 min ago
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults 45 min ago
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 29 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS 55 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Sour Flour; Kevel Fly Ties
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills...
55 min ago