East Bay News
34th anniversary of Jonestown Massacre remembered
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland Mayor Jean Quan is joining local, state, and congressional leaders at a solemn occasion -- the 34th annual memorial service for those killed in the Jonestown massacre.
The memorial is being held Sunday at Evergreen Cemetery in Oakland. Community leaders and families are holding a prayer vigil and celebration for those who perished.
It was November 18th, 1978 when San Mateo Congressman Leo Ryan and his legal aide, Jackie Speier, went to investigate the People's Temple Cult involving many Bay Area people under cult leader Jim Jones.
It turned violent -- Congressman Ryan was shot and killed. Speier and others were left for dead.
Then cult members were given cyanide-laced Kool-Aid. 900 men, women and children died.
Speier survived and went on to serve San Mateo in Congress.
oakland, murder, shooting, guns, jean quan, jackie speier, east bay news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas 11 min ago
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash 55 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday