East Bay News
Gun battle shuts down I-580, backs up traffic
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- In Oakland a running gun battle shut down I-580. Police found two abandoned cars with a number of bullet holes, but no victims.
It has been a busy night for Oakland police. Next to the freeway shooting, just a few blocks away, police found a body on the ground at Seminary Avenue and Hilton Street.
Two lanes of the freeway reopened around 10:50 p.m., but tempers were already getting the better of some people who were stuck in a dead stop for about two hours.
The scene began around 8:40 p.m. Wednesday when there was a rolling gun battle on I-580 east, involving two cars that ended in a crash near I-580 west and Seminary. There were two cars riddled with bullet holes and the people in the car apparently ran away according to Oakland police. It is unknown if any of them were injured.
So far no one has shown up at any hospitals injured. There is no active search for the people in the car, however police have impounded the vehicles and will be investigating the shooting.
"It just came to a standstill and then all of a sudden cops were all over the place looking with flashlights," said Oakland resident Andrea Ortega.
"I'm home for the holidays, excited to see my family and I've spent the first hour sitting here watching them walk around looking for bullets with flashlights on the freeway," said Denver resident Deeana Owens.
Compounding the traffic mess was a Warriors game held at the Oracle Arena in Oakland. Traffic on I-580 west was backed up for miles until the highway was finally reopened.
In another incident Oakland police were investigating a homicide on Hilton Street and Seminary Avenue. It is just blocks away from the freeway shootout. A police sergeant told us the two incidents were not related. Police were called to the scene around 9:30 p.m.
About 10 minutes later, Oakland police were called to the scene of a hit and run accident where a truck slammed into a car at Avenal and Bancroft avenues. The truck was jammed underneath the back of the other vehicle. One person was injured. Police do not yet know if the two incidents are connected.
oakland, shooting, traffic, I-580, OPD, east bay news
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos