East Bay News
Rescue workers try to free man stuck in drain
PINOLE, Calif. (KGO) -- It was a frantic rush in the East Bay as crews worked to free a man who was stuck for hours in a drain pipe.
The rescue took place at the Best Buy on Fitzgerald Drive in Pinole. Firefighters from Pinole and the surrounding areas used shovels to dig up the pipe.
It started around 8 p.m. Friday when a Best Buy customer heard the faint voice of a man calling for help. At first they couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Then they tracked it to a storm drain.
A security guard at Best Buy says the man was sleeping in the pipe, which is slanted at a 50 degree angle. Somehow he slipped so far down they could only hear him faintly calling for help.
"We've been able to make physical and verbal contact with him," Battalion Chief Brian Lowry said. "We've tried to lasso his hands and tried to pull him out, but he's wedged very tightly in. So we're excavating the drain pipe right now. I've got resources from county flood control and Pinole public works to determine if we need to break through the drain pipe itself, how we're going to be able to do that and protect his safety."
Firefighters say the man appears to be about 30-years-old and he's stuck in 14-inch drainage pipe. They're unsure how long he's been in there.
pinole, best buy, rescue, east bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos