East Bay News
Former teacher sentenced for child porn
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A former teacher at a Pittsburg elementary school has been sentenced in federal court in Oakland to four years and nine months in prison for possession of child pornography.
Alex Bursch, 28, of Antioch, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Phyllis Hamilton on Wednesday and was also ordered to pay a $2,000 fine.
Bursch formerly taught at Los Medanos Elementary School and was also a swim coach for the Pleasant Hill Dolfins, a youth swim team.
He was convicted on Aug. 29 by Hamilton in a one-day nonjury trial of one count of possessing child pornography on Sept. 1, 2010.
That date was the day that Contra Costa County sheriff's detectives arrested Bursch after discovering pornography images on his computers in a search of his home.
Prosecutors said in a sentencing brief that authorities found approximately 4,000 child pornography images and 150 child pornography videos on the computers.
They said the investigation began when an undercover officer discovered that a computer using Bursch's Internet connection was sharing child pornography images through the use of peer-to-peer file-sharing software.
Prosecutors had asked for a sentence of seven years and three months in prison, while Bursch's defense attorneys asked for probation, saying that Bursch had no previous criminal record and was amenable to treatment.
U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag said that in imposing the four-year, nine-month sentence, Hamilton noted that Bursch's collection contained a large number of images and that some of the images were of prepubescent children and of sadistic sex acts involving children.
Hamilton denied Bursch's request to be allowed to remain free during an appeal and ordered him to surrender to begin serving his sentence on Jan. 28.
sex crimes, sex offender, oakland, east bay news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 28 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US 51 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward 10 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 24 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case