East Bay News
Investigation prompts Bret Harte Middle School lockdown
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland's Bret Harte Middle School is on lockdown Monday afternoon as police investigate a home invasion that occurred nearby, a school district spokesman said.
Students are being kept in their classrooms as the school awaits further word from police, Oakland Unified School District spokesman Troy Flint said.
Flint said at 12:25 p.m. that the lockdown had been in effect for about 45 minutes. The school is located at 3700 Coolidge Ave.
He said he believes Oakland police have detained at least one person, and that the lockdown is expected to be lifted shortly.
oakland, crime, east bay news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death 57 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar 6 min ago
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in...
57 min ago
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted...
38 min ago
- Police visit homes of missing jetliner's...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos