East Bay News
Investigation prompts Bret Harte Middle School lockdown
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland's Bret Harte Middle School is on lockdown Monday afternoon as police investigate a home invasion that occurred nearby, a school district spokesman said.
Students are being kept in their classrooms as the school awaits further word from police, Oakland Unified School District spokesman Troy Flint said.
Flint said at 12:25 p.m. that the lockdown had been in effect for about 45 minutes. The school is located at 3700 Coolidge Ave.
He said he believes Oakland police have detained at least one person, and that the lockdown is expected to be lifted shortly.
oakland, crime, east bay news
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- 10-year-old girl to become Wonder Girl in Vallejo 24 min ago
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos