East Bay News
Investigation prompts Bret Harte Middle School lockdown
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland's Bret Harte Middle School is on lockdown Monday afternoon as police investigate a home invasion that occurred nearby, a school district spokesman said.
Students are being kept in their classrooms as the school awaits further word from police, Oakland Unified School District spokesman Troy Flint said.
Flint said at 12:25 p.m. that the lockdown had been in effect for about 45 minutes. The school is located at 3700 Coolidge Ave.
He said he believes Oakland police have detained at least one person, and that the lockdown is expected to be lifted shortly.
oakland, crime, east bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...