East Bay News
Female bicyclist fatally shot in Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman who devoted her life to caring for others was gunned down while riding her bike on the streets of Berkeley Tuesday night. Police found the woman's body at Sacramento and Ward streets. Her family and friends are in mourning.
Police identified the woman was Pam Mullins, 50, of Berkeley.
"Initially, we got a call of a bicyclist possibly involved in an injury collision," said Berkeley Officer Jennifer Coats.
It was 11:30 p.m. Tuesday and when police arrived, they found a woman on the sidewalk in front of Longfellow Middle School. Her family says she had been shot once in the head as she rode her bike and she died on this sidewalk as paramedics tried to revive her. '
Mullins was only one block away from her home on Sacramento Street. On Wednesday night candles spelled out her name as relatives stood stunned to think she died.
"We love our aunty and wish she was still here," said Danielle Easley, Mullins' niece.
Easley said she rode her bicycle to jobs in the neighborhood as a caregiver to senior citizens.
"She was a loving person, she went to work, came home, family-oriented, so why would someone want to do something like this to her?" asked Shantell Joseph, Mullins' friend.
Her brother described her as very giving to the community. He said she was, "a kind person, helped all the homeless people."
Why someone shot Mullins is still a mystery. Police are investigating.
"Our officers did go back out in the daylight hours to look for evidence and the also to canvass the area to see if they have any more potential witnesses," said Coats.
Residents say the area is relatively safe, but there have been some shootings in the past few months. This shooting only heightens their fear.
Police are asking anyone with information on the case to call the department's homicide unit at (510) 981-5741, the non-emergency number at (510) 981-5900, or Bay Area Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS (8477). Callers can remain anonymous, police said.
berkeley, shooting, east bay news
- Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb kills 51
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison 24 min ago
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda 51 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 injured in East Palo Alto shooting
- Vallejo fire leaves one person hospitalized 55 min ago
- 16-year-old killed in San Jose bike accident 26 min ago
- Gov. Brown cites safety in possible bridge delay
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in...
49 min ago