East Bay News
Female bicyclist fatally shot in Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman who devoted her life to caring for others was gunned down while riding her bike on the streets of Berkeley Tuesday night. Police found the woman's body at Sacramento and Ward streets. Her family and friends are in mourning.
Police identified the woman was Pam Mullins, 50, of Berkeley.
"Initially, we got a call of a bicyclist possibly involved in an injury collision," said Berkeley Officer Jennifer Coats.
It was 11:30 p.m. Tuesday and when police arrived, they found a woman on the sidewalk in front of Longfellow Middle School. Her family says she had been shot once in the head as she rode her bike and she died on this sidewalk as paramedics tried to revive her. '
Mullins was only one block away from her home on Sacramento Street. On Wednesday night candles spelled out her name as relatives stood stunned to think she died.
"We love our aunty and wish she was still here," said Danielle Easley, Mullins' niece.
Easley said she rode her bicycle to jobs in the neighborhood as a caregiver to senior citizens.
"She was a loving person, she went to work, came home, family-oriented, so why would someone want to do something like this to her?" asked Shantell Joseph, Mullins' friend.
Her brother described her as very giving to the community. He said she was, "a kind person, helped all the homeless people."
Why someone shot Mullins is still a mystery. Police are investigating.
"Our officers did go back out in the daylight hours to look for evidence and the also to canvass the area to see if they have any more potential witnesses," said Coats.
Residents say the area is relatively safe, but there have been some shootings in the past few months. This shooting only heightens their fear.
Police are asking anyone with information on the case to call the department's homicide unit at (510) 981-5741, the non-emergency number at (510) 981-5900, or Bay Area Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS (8477). Callers can remain anonymous, police said.
berkeley, shooting, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school 37 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained 31 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
9 min ago
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos