East Bay News
Trio who allegedly killed man charged with murder
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- Three men who allegedly confronted and killed a man over clothing stolen from an apartment complex laundry room in Antioch last month have been charged with murder, police said today.
Prosecutors filed charges of murder and assault with a firearm Wednesday against Concord resident Boise Duggan, 24, Oakley resident Jeremy Griffin, 24, and 28-year-old Johntue Felix Hinds of Antioch, authorities said today.
Police said both Griffin and Duggan were also charged with being convicted felons in possession of a firearm and for allegedly dissuading a witness. In addition, Duggan was charged with evading a police officer, first-degree residential burglary and a "Three Strikes" enhancement, according to police.
The charges are linked to the murder of 32-year-old Juan Jose Hernandez of Antioch on Nov. 14.
Investigators said the three suspects were at the Delta Pines apartment complex at 2301 Sycamore Drive in Antioch that afternoon when clothing belonging to Griffin, Duggan and another person turned up missing from the building's laundry room.
The three suspects went to an apartment to confront the occupants about the missing clothes.
Police said the suspects fought with the occupants and attacked and fatally shot Hernandez, who was visiting friends at the apartment and was not involved in the clothing theft, Sgt. Santiago Castillo said.
"He happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said.
The sergeant said officers arrested Hinds on Nov. 19 after spotting him in a parked stolen car.
The following day, police located Griffin, stopped his car and arrested him without incident.
On the afternoon of Nov. 26th, detectives conducting surveillance near the intersection of Bryan Avenue and A Street spotted Duggan driving a Hyundai Santa Fe that had been stolen in an earlier carjacking in Antioch, according to police.
The officers attempted to stop the car, but Duggan sped away, leading police on a roughly half-mile chase before losing control of the Hyundai and crashing into a car on Lone Tree Way near Putnam Street.
Duggan and a 21-year-old passenger exited the car and fled the scene on foot. Officers located the suspect after a short search and foot chase and arrested him.
Duggan is now being held in county jail on $8.3 million bail.
Hinds and Griffin are each being held on over $1 million bail, Castillo said.
murder, antioch, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support 13 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement 29 min ago
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Driver in fatal Twin Peaks DUI hit-and-run sentenced
- Target shopper files suit over security breach 23 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set 22 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on...
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos