East Bay News
Trio who allegedly killed man charged with murder
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- Three men who allegedly confronted and killed a man over clothing stolen from an apartment complex laundry room in Antioch last month have been charged with murder, police said today.
Prosecutors filed charges of murder and assault with a firearm Wednesday against Concord resident Boise Duggan, 24, Oakley resident Jeremy Griffin, 24, and 28-year-old Johntue Felix Hinds of Antioch, authorities said today.
Police said both Griffin and Duggan were also charged with being convicted felons in possession of a firearm and for allegedly dissuading a witness. In addition, Duggan was charged with evading a police officer, first-degree residential burglary and a "Three Strikes" enhancement, according to police.
The charges are linked to the murder of 32-year-old Juan Jose Hernandez of Antioch on Nov. 14.
Investigators said the three suspects were at the Delta Pines apartment complex at 2301 Sycamore Drive in Antioch that afternoon when clothing belonging to Griffin, Duggan and another person turned up missing from the building's laundry room.
The three suspects went to an apartment to confront the occupants about the missing clothes.
Police said the suspects fought with the occupants and attacked and fatally shot Hernandez, who was visiting friends at the apartment and was not involved in the clothing theft, Sgt. Santiago Castillo said.
"He happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said.
The sergeant said officers arrested Hinds on Nov. 19 after spotting him in a parked stolen car.
The following day, police located Griffin, stopped his car and arrested him without incident.
On the afternoon of Nov. 26th, detectives conducting surveillance near the intersection of Bryan Avenue and A Street spotted Duggan driving a Hyundai Santa Fe that had been stolen in an earlier carjacking in Antioch, according to police.
The officers attempted to stop the car, but Duggan sped away, leading police on a roughly half-mile chase before losing control of the Hyundai and crashing into a car on Lone Tree Way near Putnam Street.
Duggan and a 21-year-old passenger exited the car and fled the scene on foot. Officers located the suspect after a short search and foot chase and arrested him.
Duggan is now being held in county jail on $8.3 million bail.
Hinds and Griffin are each being held on over $1 million bail, Castillo said.
murder, antioch, east bay news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 13 min ago
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
11 min ago