East Bay News
Lane changes scheduled at Antioch Bridge toll plaza
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- Motorists may face short delays during off-peak traffic hours at the Antioch Bridge toll plaza during the next 10 days as crews install a new toll collection and accounting system.
Starting this evening, one of three lanes at the bridge's toll plaza will be closed at most times while workers install the updated system.
The installation work is set to continue through Dec. 17, outside of weekday peak commuting hours from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., according to Caltrans and Bay Area Toll Authority officials.
The new toll system is designed to improve the toll plaza's accounting system.
"It gives us more reliability on toll collection and accounting," said Bay Area Toll Authority spokesman John Goodwin.
He described the current system as "ancient by technology standards."
However, the only change drivers are likely to notice will be small - instead of seeing "ETC approved" on toll plaza signs, a display will now read "FasTrak approved," Goodwin said.
The new toll collection equipment was installed at the Benicia-Martinez Bridge toll plaza in August, and is set to be in place on the Carquinez, Richmond-San Rafael, Bay, San Mateo-Hayward and Dumbarton bridge toll plazas next year.
antioch, antioch bridge, east bay news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak 9 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year 14 min ago
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial 38 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- 7 On Your Side: Affordable home automation
8 min ago