East Bay News
Police release suspect description in rape cases
RICHMOND, Calif. -- Police in Richmond issued an alert today warning residents to be on the lookout for a suspect linked to the abductions and rapes of two young women and an attempted abduction during the past six months.
Police released a description and two composite sketches of what is believed to be the same man suspected of abducting and sexually assaulting two women and attempting to assault a third in three separate incidents in Richmond since June, Capt. Sappal Manjit said.
The first abduction and rape happened after dark June 6, and another abduction and sexual assault occurred the night of Nov. 20. On Nov. 21 sometime after 5 p.m., a suspect attempted to abduct another young woman, police said.
Each of the incidents occurred off of 23rd Street in Richmond's Garvin Corridor area, according to police.
The circumstances of each incident indicate that the same man committed the crimes.
Police said that in each attack, the suspect was described as a clean-shaven Hispanic man in his 30s with a medium build who is roughly 5 feet 7 inches tall and who may be wearing a gold chain with a cross. The suspect was driving a white, four-door sedan similar to a Nissan Altima.
Manjit said that while the two sketches differ slightly, the composites based on victims' recollections show a highly similar facial structure.
"We don't have any reason to believe there is more than one suspect," he said today.
Police are distributing the bulletins containing the suspect sketch to businesses on 23rd Street near the scenes of the crimes and to local high schools, Manjit said.
Anyone with any information about the any of the cases or the suspect's whereabouts is urged to call Detective Kevin Simmons at (510) 965-4965.
sex crimes, richmond, east bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire