East Bay News
Teens arrested over pipe bomb explosion
PLEASANT HILL, Calif. (KGO) -- Police in Pleasant Hill arrested two teenagers after officers say the boys used a pipe bomb to blow up a woman's mailbox. Alert neighbors are being credited for helping police track the teens down before they could do more damage with a second explosive device.
Mangled remnants of what used to be a metal mailbox sit in the front yard of a Pleasant Hill home the morning after police say teenagers put a pipe bomb inside of it.
The explosion rocked the quiet neighborhood just before 10 p.m. Friday.
"An explosion just shook the windows," neighbor Jim Seibert said. "Woke me up.
Neighbor Jen Smith adds, "It's crazy times, you know. We're just really surprised how things happen like that."
The resident of the home didn't want to give us her name. When we caught up with her, she was in a hurry and hesitant to talk to us.
Kira: "You said police came really fast and did a good job?"
Resident: "Yes, they did. They caught them last night."
Kira: "That must have been so scary."
Resident: "Yeah, it was, but I have very good neighbors."
Witnesses saw a red SUV leave their neighborhood right after the explosion. That tip helped authorities track down the SUV to a parking lot at College Park High School.
Police say they don't believe the high school was the teens' target, just their meeting place. But inside their SUV, police found a second pipe bomb.
"Walnut Creek Police Bomb Squad came out and rendered the pipe bomb safe and three juveniles were taken into custody as a result of the investigation," Cpl. Steve Dexheimer said.
In total, five teens were in the SUV.
Two were arrested and then released to their parents. A third was arrested on unrelated charges.
explosion, pleasant hill, east bay news
- Fatal crash closes WB I-580 lanes in Livermore 46 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase 48 min ago
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 16 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 24 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
16 min ago
- Inside look at SF Ballet's 'Nutcracker'
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos