East Bay News
Richmond holding meeting on refinery reconstruction
RICHMOND, Calif. -- Richmond city officials are holding a public meeting tonight to discuss the rebuilding of the crude oil unit that was torched in the August Chevron refinery fire.
Representatives from Contra Costa County, the U.S. Chemical Safety Board, Cal/OSHA, the Bay Area Air Quality Management District and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency are expected to attend the meeting, which is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. in City Council chambers at 440 Civic Center Plaza.
The city is responsible for issuing building permits for the reconstruction of the damaged crude unit.
City Councilman Tom Butt said tonight's meeting will be "an opportunity to provide input into the process before these permits are issued."
City planners will talk about the materials that will be used to reconstruct pipes in the unit and there will be an update on various state and federal investigations into the massive Aug. 9 blaze.
Last week, Chevron submitted to the city a detailed risk analysis report about the type of material used to repair the damaged pipe, according to city officials.
Jim McLaughlin, the city's metallurgical consultant, and David Hendrix, a metallurgical engineering consultant recently retained by the city, are reviewing Chevron's analysis.
Butt said he believes the rebuilding and permitting process in the wake of the fire is now "about as transparent as it can be."
chevron, richmond, east bay news
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Muni driver honored for actions after shooting
- City says 'parklet' in Haight-Ashbury must go
- Man arrested after fatal crash in San Jose
- 2 wildfires burning in Central Sierra foothills
- Charges filed against man in naked BART attack
- Caltrain reopens after police talk man off ledge
- Bicyclist struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
- Patient attacks nurse at Napa State Hospital
- SF taxi driver chokes, robs passenger over tip
- Flooding renews call for new Oakland A's stadium
- abcnews: Putin accused of stealing Super Bowl ring
- roundup: Burglaries in Livermore; Cabbie robs fare
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Oakland kicks off summer food program for...
39 min ago