East Bay News
Fatal shooting prompts school lockdowns in Hayward
HAYWARD, Calif. -- A man who was fatally shot in the parking lot of a Hayward apartment complex this morning has been identified as Roosevelt Foster, a 26-year-old man who was visiting from Arkansas, Hayward police said.
The shooting was reported at about 10:34 a.m. in the 27200 block of Sleepy Hollow Avenue near West Tennyson Road, police said.
Foster was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police said the shooting is still under investigation and they don't have any suspect information.
Two nearby schools went into lockdown after the shooting, a school district employee said.
Southgate Elementary School, located at 26601 Calaroga Ave., went on lockdown around 11:30 a.m., according to Lisa Cote, an executive assistant with the Hayward Unified School District superintendent's office.
She said the lockdown was recommended by Hayward police.
Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School, located about half a mile away at 26890 Holly Hill Ave., decided to go on voluntary lockdown, Cote said.
The lockdowns were lifted at about 12:30 p.m.
hayward, crime, shooting, school lockdown, east bay news
- Freeze Warning remains in effect across Bay Area
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Speeding driver rear-ends San Jose police officer
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder
- 5th day of searching for SJ CEO turns up empty
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Hate crime task force; Suspect fatally shot
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos