East Bay News
Fatal shooting prompts school lockdowns in Hayward
HAYWARD, Calif. -- A man who was fatally shot in the parking lot of a Hayward apartment complex this morning has been identified as Roosevelt Foster, a 26-year-old man who was visiting from Arkansas, Hayward police said.
The shooting was reported at about 10:34 a.m. in the 27200 block of Sleepy Hollow Avenue near West Tennyson Road, police said.
Foster was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police said the shooting is still under investigation and they don't have any suspect information.
Two nearby schools went into lockdown after the shooting, a school district employee said.
Southgate Elementary School, located at 26601 Calaroga Ave., went on lockdown around 11:30 a.m., according to Lisa Cote, an executive assistant with the Hayward Unified School District superintendent's office.
She said the lockdown was recommended by Hayward police.
Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School, located about half a mile away at 26890 Holly Hill Ave., decided to go on voluntary lockdown, Cote said.
The lockdowns were lifted at about 12:30 p.m.
hayward, crime, shooting, school lockdown, east bay news
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos