East Bay News
Holiday shoppers fight over Air Jordans
A mall security guard in Newark was punched in the face Friday during a scuffle over Nike's new Air Jordans.
A video sent to ABC7 via uReport shows a large crowd rushing through the door of the Newpark Mall. Police say a man was apprehended for hitting the guard during the shoe frenzy.
The new limited edition sneakers went on sale Friday morning. A raffle system was implemented with the aim of controlling the madness.
Anetrieous Ponder arrived at the mall at 4 a.m. "I'm only interested in getting two pairs of shoes but I think someone should be held accountable because Nike sends 20 or 30 pair of shoes when there's going to be 100 to 200 people," Ponder said.
The Air Jordan Retro 11 sneakers retail for $185. Re-sellers are already offering the shoes for as much as $820 on eBay.
shopping, nike, newark, east bay news
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos