East Bay News
Holiday shoppers fight over Air Jordans
A mall security guard in Newark was punched in the face Friday during a scuffle over Nike's new Air Jordans.
A video sent to ABC7 via uReport shows a large crowd rushing through the door of the Newpark Mall. Police say a man was apprehended for hitting the guard during the shoe frenzy.
The new limited edition sneakers went on sale Friday morning. A raffle system was implemented with the aim of controlling the madness.
Anetrieous Ponder arrived at the mall at 4 a.m. "I'm only interested in getting two pairs of shoes but I think someone should be held accountable because Nike sends 20 or 30 pair of shoes when there's going to be 100 to 200 people," Ponder said.
The Air Jordan Retro 11 sneakers retail for $185. Re-sellers are already offering the shoes for as much as $820 on eBay.
shopping, nike, newark, east bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- US approves California's new K-12 testing plan 35 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Ukraine may turn to UN General Assembly 8 min ago
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Wing cracks lead to Dreamliner production delay 5 min ago
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday