East Bay News
Concord High honors fellow student shot in SF
CONCORD, Calif. (KGO) -- An East Bay high school football star shot and killed in San Francisco was honored Friday night. Inside Concord High's gymnasium, 17-year-old Montreal Blakeley's closest friends paid tribute, through funny stories.
"My mom would always make him food and he loved garbanzo beans. I don't know why, but he did," said Oscar Hinojosa, Blakeley's friend.
Members of the football team honored their fellow player with a video produced just for this event. A couple hundred people packed into the dimmed gymnasium to pay tribute to a fellow student, friend, and talented athlete.
The organizers of the event, passed out candles, then moved the crowd onto the football field. Blakeley was only a student at Concord High since the beginning of this school year, but he left a lasting impression.
"His smile was super contagious. You just say hi to Montreal and if you had a bad day, he would just smile at you and you can't help but smile back," said Rolyssa Manalac, a friend.
Blakeley was gunned down last weekend while visiting family in the Bayview District of San Francisco. Police are still looking for suspects. Blakeley's father pleaded for an end to gun violence.
"Brothers that's taking lives in the black ghetto, we're taking gifts away and we have to stop taking our gifts away," said Montreal Blakely Sr., Blakely's father.
Montreal Blakely was a football varsity letterman with a 3.8 grade point average. His letter and GPA certificate were presented to his family at this memorial.
concord, shooting, bayview hunters point, east bay news
- Paul McCartney will play final show at Candlestick 8 min ago
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 6 min ago
- Police make arrest in Daly City shooting 2 min ago
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Body found at dump; Bicycle Share expansion