East Bay News
Alleged bicycle thief caught in sting
BERKELEY, Calif. -- An alleged bike thief was caught red-handed last weekend at a Berkeley BART station by transit police when he tried to sell a stolen bike back unknowingly to the rightful owner, a BART police spokeswoman said Wednesday.
Richmond resident Marque Moore, 57, was arrested Sunday near the Ashby BART station after the theft victim arranged to "buy" his bike from an online bicycle listing, BART police Officer Era Jenkins said.
The victim had has his bike stolen from his San Francisco home in October, according to police.
Investigators later headed to Moore's Richmond home where 10 bicycles, 57 bicycle tires, 24 bicycle wheels, 26 bicycle wheels with tires, 21 bike seats, four bicycle frames, a gun and ammunition were allegedly found, police said.
Moore, who was arrested on his way to the station when he called to tell the victim he was on his way, was charged with possession of stolen property, being a felon in possession of a firearm and a probation violation, Jenkins said.
He was booked at Glenn Dyer Jail in Oakland.
He was scheduled to be arraigned this morning at Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland, according to Eamon O'Connor from the Alameda County District Attorney's Office.
BART police have posted photographs of the recovered items at http://www.bart.gov/about/police/recovered-bikes.aspx in hopes of reuniting theft victims with their property -- some of which may have been taken from BART stations, Jenkins said.
Jenkins said in 2012, 811 bike-related thefts were reported from stations throughout the system.
Anyone who recognizes a bicycle or bicycle part is asked to call BART police investigations at (510) 464-7040.
crime, bikes, berkeley, BART, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown