East Bay News
Alleged bicycle thief caught in sting
BERKELEY, Calif. -- An alleged bike thief was caught red-handed last weekend at a Berkeley BART station by transit police when he tried to sell a stolen bike back unknowingly to the rightful owner, a BART police spokeswoman said Wednesday.
Richmond resident Marque Moore, 57, was arrested Sunday near the Ashby BART station after the theft victim arranged to "buy" his bike from an online bicycle listing, BART police Officer Era Jenkins said.
The victim had has his bike stolen from his San Francisco home in October, according to police.
Investigators later headed to Moore's Richmond home where 10 bicycles, 57 bicycle tires, 24 bicycle wheels, 26 bicycle wheels with tires, 21 bike seats, four bicycle frames, a gun and ammunition were allegedly found, police said.
Moore, who was arrested on his way to the station when he called to tell the victim he was on his way, was charged with possession of stolen property, being a felon in possession of a firearm and a probation violation, Jenkins said.
He was booked at Glenn Dyer Jail in Oakland.
He was scheduled to be arraigned this morning at Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland, according to Eamon O'Connor from the Alameda County District Attorney's Office.
BART police have posted photographs of the recovered items at http://www.bart.gov/about/police/recovered-bikes.aspx in hopes of reuniting theft victims with their property -- some of which may have been taken from BART stations, Jenkins said.
Jenkins said in 2012, 811 bike-related thefts were reported from stations throughout the system.
Anyone who recognizes a bicycle or bicycle part is asked to call BART police investigations at (510) 464-7040.
crime, bikes, berkeley, BART, east bay news
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Fashion designer L'Wren Scott found dead in NY 34 min ago
- Man fatally struck by train in Berkeley this morning 14 min ago
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- GM recalls 1.18 million SUVs for air bag problem
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists
- LA police say no leads in AMBER Alert abduction
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos