East Bay News
Man barricaded inside apartment found dead
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A suspect who was barricaded inside an East Oakland apartment this morning has died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, an Alameda County sheriff's sergeant said.
Deputies went to an apartment in the 3700 block of Fruitvale Avenue at about 10 a.m. to serve an eviction notice to a resident, Sgt. J.D. Nelson said.
When deputies entered the apartment, they found a man lying in bed, holding a handgun, Nelson said.
The deputies backed out of the apartment and called in additional deputies and Oakland police for assistance, he said.
At some point, the deputies heard a single gunshot coming from inside the apartment, police said.
Oakland police officers entered the home and found the man unresponsive with what appeared to be a gunshot wound, Nelson said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The man, whose name has not been released, is believed to have been in his 60s, police said.
As of 12:30 p.m., police and deputies were still processing the scene.
Officers have recovered the gun, police said. The incident is under investigation.
crime, oakland, OPD, shooting, east bay news
- Boy drowns after falling into canal in Antioch
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF
- Angel Pagan wins it for SF Giants with inside-the-park HR
- Josh Donaldson, A's power past Astros 11-5
- Castillo scores as FC Dallas tops Earthquakes 1-0
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained
- San Antonio flooding kills one; 200-plus rescued
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday