East Bay News
Man barricaded inside apartment found dead
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A suspect who was barricaded inside an East Oakland apartment this morning has died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, an Alameda County sheriff's sergeant said.
Deputies went to an apartment in the 3700 block of Fruitvale Avenue at about 10 a.m. to serve an eviction notice to a resident, Sgt. J.D. Nelson said.
When deputies entered the apartment, they found a man lying in bed, holding a handgun, Nelson said.
The deputies backed out of the apartment and called in additional deputies and Oakland police for assistance, he said.
At some point, the deputies heard a single gunshot coming from inside the apartment, police said.
Oakland police officers entered the home and found the man unresponsive with what appeared to be a gunshot wound, Nelson said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The man, whose name has not been released, is believed to have been in his 60s, police said.
As of 12:30 p.m., police and deputies were still processing the scene.
Officers have recovered the gun, police said. The incident is under investigation.
crime, oakland, OPD, shooting, east bay news
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire 57 min ago
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- One killed in boating accident in Redwood City 39 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1 49 min ago
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets 37 min ago
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014 1 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 4 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos