East Bay News
Man barricaded inside apartment found dead
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A suspect who was barricaded inside an East Oakland apartment this morning has died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, an Alameda County sheriff's sergeant said.
Deputies went to an apartment in the 3700 block of Fruitvale Avenue at about 10 a.m. to serve an eviction notice to a resident, Sgt. J.D. Nelson said.
When deputies entered the apartment, they found a man lying in bed, holding a handgun, Nelson said.
The deputies backed out of the apartment and called in additional deputies and Oakland police for assistance, he said.
At some point, the deputies heard a single gunshot coming from inside the apartment, police said.
Oakland police officers entered the home and found the man unresponsive with what appeared to be a gunshot wound, Nelson said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The man, whose name has not been released, is believed to have been in his 60s, police said.
As of 12:30 p.m., police and deputies were still processing the scene.
Officers have recovered the gun, police said. The incident is under investigation.
crime, oakland, OPD, shooting, east bay news
- Sheriff: Suspect in Colorado school shooting dead 18 min ago
- Man survives fiery explosion at Hayward home
- EMT killed in fiery crash on I-580 remembered
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Photos: Colorado high school shooting 19 min ago
- Icy roads creating dangerous driving conditions
- Vigils to mark first anniversary of Newtown shooting
- Knife-wielding man arrested for grocery store robbery 52 min ago
- String of water mains break overnight in Millbrae
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Saturday 57 min ago
- roundup: SF stabbing; Water main breaks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday