East Bay News
Police in Oakland searching for escaped inmate
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Police in Oakland are still searching for a prisoner who escaped Friday while being transported to Highland Hospital on East 31st Street just south of Interstate 580. Police say the man they're looking for has a lengthy criminal history, knows Oakland well, and may have had help escaping from police after he made his run. They also describe him as "extremely dangerous."
The suspect is 31-year old Anthony Hoskins. He was an inmate at Santa Rita Jail in custody on multiple robbery charges, until Friday. He escaped from Alameda County sheriff's deputies transporting him from the jail to the hospital just before 10 a.m. and remains on the run. Police say Hoskins most likely planned his escape and acted quickly when he saw a chance.
"We believe he manipulated the waist and leg restraints that he was put in so when he got here and the door was open, he was able to take off running," Sgt. J.D. Nelson said. Police officers and sheriff's deputies stormed rooftops and weaved through yards using K-9 units to follow Hoskins' scent. "The deputy was able to chase him to this point, lost track of him, and then we were able to find his clothes," Nelson said.
Officials say Hoskins is extremely dangerous and very familiar with Oakland. They are also considering the possibility that he may have had help after he ran. His jailhouse uniform was found not far from the hospital, suggesting he had clothes on the ready. "This could absolutely have been prearranged or he could have somebody that he knows in the neighborhood," Nelson said.
Hoskins has a lengthy criminal record that includes kidnapping. He was last seen in the neighborhood just south of Highland Hospital. "Anybody that escapes from our custody, no matter what the charges are, I consider that dangerous," Nelson said.
Authorities say Hoskins never made it into the hospital, but made his escape from the loading dock. An internal investigation will check to see if the locks were placed on him correctly.
oakland, crime, east bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos