East Bay News
Anonymous tip leads to bank robber's arrest
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- An anonymous text tip line is reaping rewards in Oakland.
A suspected bank robber was arrested earlier this month after a citizen responded to a police Nixle Alert for help in identifying him. Nixle helps members of a community shy about assisting police come forward anonymously to cooperate with law enforcement.
"It's no secret that we are at a lower level of staffing than we have been in perhaps decades, but when we enlist the help of the community members, we get those community members' eyes and ears to help us, and that's really what community policing and Nixle Tip Watch is about," OPD Sgt. Chris Bolton said.
The Nixle tip also led to the arrest of the suspect's female companion.
oakland, crime, east bay news
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo
- Woman hit by construction van in critical condition
- SFO employee accused of stealing from luggage
- BART to vote on allowing bikes on rush hour trains
- Actor Brad Pitt says he suffers from prosopagnosia 13 min ago
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: SF warehouse fire; Fatal bicyclist accident
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos