East Bay News
Anonymous tip leads to bank robber's arrest
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- An anonymous text tip line is reaping rewards in Oakland.
A suspected bank robber was arrested earlier this month after a citizen responded to a police Nixle Alert for help in identifying him. Nixle helps members of a community shy about assisting police come forward anonymously to cooperate with law enforcement.
"It's no secret that we are at a lower level of staffing than we have been in perhaps decades, but when we enlist the help of the community members, we get those community members' eyes and ears to help us, and that's really what community policing and Nixle Tip Watch is about," OPD Sgt. Chris Bolton said.
The Nixle tip also led to the arrest of the suspect's female companion.
oakland, crime, east bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire 49 min ago
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Consumer Reports tests gray hair touch up products
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Boy struck by car 47 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos