East Bay News
String of Oakland murders linked to feuding groups
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Police have linked a string of murders in Oakland Friday to several rival groups, a police spokeswoman said Saturday.
Three young men and a teenage boy were murdered in the span of six hours across Oakland on Friday in shootings linked to specific groups, police spokesman Johnna Watson said.
"These groups are involved in ongoing feuds with one another and continue to engage in retaliatory violence that will absolutely not be tolerated," she said in a statement.
Police are investigating the four homicides and are working Saturday to find and arrest suspects. No arrests have been made.
Watson said a man shot and killed around 3 p.m. Friday on Canon Avenue near Wellington Street next to Dimond Park has been identified as 30-year-old former Oakland resident Larry Lovette of Stockton.
Around 4:15 p.m., 21-year-old Oakland man Eddiebo Rodriguez was fatally shot in the 3400 block of West Street in West Oakland, she said.
Police said Rodriguez was taken to a hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
In East Oakland, a 17-year-old boy identified as Ken Harbin of Oakland was fatally shot in the 9400 block of Hillside Street, according to Watson.
According to police, a 22-year-old Oakland man shot and killed around 2:30 p.m. Friday in the 2300 block of East 17th Street in the Fruitvale District. His name is being withheld pending notification of relatives.
The killings Friday make up the bulk of Oakland's 6 homicides so far this year.
Oakland saw 131 homicides in 2012.
Anyone with information about the homicides that occurred Friday is asked to contact Oakland police at (510) 238-3821 or Crime Stoppers of Oakland at (510) 777-8672 or the police tip line at (510) 777-2805.
oakland, shooting, east bay news
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted LA kids
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos