East Bay News
City leader wants state of emergency declared in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- At least one city leader wants to declare a state of emergency in Oakland after there were six murders in one week, including four in one day.
All the victims were men or boys. Four of the crimes happened Friday between 2:30 and 8:20 p.m.
The Oakland Tribune reports that Vice Mayor Larry Reid wants a state of emergency declared in Oakland, a move that would free up mutual aid funding from the state.
The police department says Friday's shootings are a result of ongoing feuds between groups.
The department says it will commit all available additional resources to the ongoing investigations.
oakland, shooting, gang violence, jean quan, howard jordan, east bay news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos