East Bay News
City leader wants state of emergency declared in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- At least one city leader wants to declare a state of emergency in Oakland after there were six murders in one week, including four in one day.
All the victims were men or boys. Four of the crimes happened Friday between 2:30 and 8:20 p.m.
The Oakland Tribune reports that Vice Mayor Larry Reid wants a state of emergency declared in Oakland, a move that would free up mutual aid funding from the state.
The police department says Friday's shootings are a result of ongoing feuds between groups.
The department says it will commit all available additional resources to the ongoing investigations.
oakland, shooting, gang violence, jean quan, howard jordan, east bay news
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race 18 min ago
- Concession workers launch one-day strike at AT&T 6 min ago
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- San Jose structure fire displaces 5 people
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Thieves target True Religion jeans
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos