East Bay News
City leader wants state of emergency declared in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- At least one city leader wants to declare a state of emergency in Oakland after there were six murders in one week, including four in one day.
All the victims were men or boys. Four of the crimes happened Friday between 2:30 and 8:20 p.m.
The Oakland Tribune reports that Vice Mayor Larry Reid wants a state of emergency declared in Oakland, a move that would free up mutual aid funding from the state.
The police department says Friday's shootings are a result of ongoing feuds between groups.
The department says it will commit all available additional resources to the ongoing investigations.
oakland, shooting, gang violence, jean quan, howard jordan, east bay news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments 14 min ago
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four 37 min ago
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home 20 min ago
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday