East Bay News
Police arrest women on suspicion of identity theft
VALLEJO, Calif. -- Vacaville police have arrested two Bay Area women who are suspected of 30 identity thefts in California and Nevada, a police sergeant said.
Vacaville police went to the BevMo! store at 1621 E. Monte Vista Ave. around 4 p.m. Wednesday where a clerk informed them someone placed an online order using stolen credit cards, Sgt. Scott Whitehouse said.
Ebony Tyresha Hayes, 27, of San Francisco, and Bianca Michelle Fleming, 29, of Pinole, arrived at the store to pick up the online order, Whitehouse said.
The two women tried to leave when the clerk said the online transaction would not be honored, but police detained them near the store, Whitehouse said.
Officers determined Fleming and Hayes were suspected of committing fraud and identity theft in nine California cities as far south as Costa Mesa, according to Whitehouse.
He said police arrested the two women on suspicion of 30 counts of fraud and identity theft and booked them into Solano County Jail.
Hayes also was booked on an outstanding felony warrant for identity theft in Nevada, Whitehouse said.
The women used a highly sophisticated method to complete the fraud transactions and at one point the U.S. Secret Service joined the investigation, Whitehouse said.
The case is still under investigation and the monetary amount of the alleged frauds by Fleming and Hayes is still unknown, Whitehouse said.
crime, vallejo, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday