East Bay News
Police arrest women on suspicion of identity theft
VALLEJO, Calif. -- Vacaville police have arrested two Bay Area women who are suspected of 30 identity thefts in California and Nevada, a police sergeant said.
Vacaville police went to the BevMo! store at 1621 E. Monte Vista Ave. around 4 p.m. Wednesday where a clerk informed them someone placed an online order using stolen credit cards, Sgt. Scott Whitehouse said.
Ebony Tyresha Hayes, 27, of San Francisco, and Bianca Michelle Fleming, 29, of Pinole, arrived at the store to pick up the online order, Whitehouse said.
The two women tried to leave when the clerk said the online transaction would not be honored, but police detained them near the store, Whitehouse said.
Officers determined Fleming and Hayes were suspected of committing fraud and identity theft in nine California cities as far south as Costa Mesa, according to Whitehouse.
He said police arrested the two women on suspicion of 30 counts of fraud and identity theft and booked them into Solano County Jail.
Hayes also was booked on an outstanding felony warrant for identity theft in Nevada, Whitehouse said.
The women used a highly sophisticated method to complete the fraud transactions and at one point the U.S. Secret Service joined the investigation, Whitehouse said.
The case is still under investigation and the monetary amount of the alleged frauds by Fleming and Hayes is still unknown, Whitehouse said.
crime, vallejo, east bay news
- South African leader Nelson Mandela has died 52 min ago
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Teen found murdered in 1994 ID'd as Pacifica girl
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Frigid temperatures grip Bay Area, break records
- I-5 in Stockton reopens after officer-involved shooting
- Cal signs $18M deal for naming rights at stadium
- Batkid returning to SF for fundraising walk
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Wendy's worker arrested after hiding pot in burger
- FBI seeks 'Sports Cap Bandit' bank robbery suspect
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: Batkid back in SF; Fremont burglar
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday