East Bay News
Oakland officer recovering after being shot
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A 13-year Oakland Police Department veteran is recovering after being shot in East Oakland Friday night.
At about 5:25 p.m., two uniformed officers responded to the intersection of 47th Avenue and East 12th Street on a report of a crash, Officer Johnna Watson said. At about 5:45 p.m., they heard gunfire.
As they approached the area where they heard the gunshots, the officers encountered a suspect armed with a firearm.
The suspect reportedly shot one of the officers and ran away, she said. Both officers pursued the suspect a short distance, arrested him nearby, and recovered his firearm, she said. At least one officer fired at the suspect.
The suspect was not injured and remained in custody tonight. The suspect's identity has not been released.
The officer's injuries are not considered to be life threatening, Watson said.
Investigators from the Major Crimes Unit and Internal Affairs Division remained at the shooting site at about 10 p.m. completing parallel investigations.
The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact the Oakland Police Department's Major Crimes Section at (510) 238-3821 or the tip line at (510) 777-2805.
An Oakland Police Department news briefing is expected to be held Monday about the shooting.
OPD, oakland, shooting, crime, east bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney 15 min ago
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force 45 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
15 min ago