East Bay News
Oakland officer recovering after being shot
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A 13-year Oakland Police Department veteran is recovering after being shot in East Oakland Friday night.
At about 5:25 p.m., two uniformed officers responded to the intersection of 47th Avenue and East 12th Street on a report of a crash, Officer Johnna Watson said. At about 5:45 p.m., they heard gunfire.
As they approached the area where they heard the gunshots, the officers encountered a suspect armed with a firearm.
The suspect reportedly shot one of the officers and ran away, she said. Both officers pursued the suspect a short distance, arrested him nearby, and recovered his firearm, she said. At least one officer fired at the suspect.
The suspect was not injured and remained in custody tonight. The suspect's identity has not been released.
The officer's injuries are not considered to be life threatening, Watson said.
Investigators from the Major Crimes Unit and Internal Affairs Division remained at the shooting site at about 10 p.m. completing parallel investigations.
The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact the Oakland Police Department's Major Crimes Section at (510) 238-3821 or the tip line at (510) 777-2805.
An Oakland Police Department news briefing is expected to be held Monday about the shooting.
OPD, oakland, shooting, crime, east bay news
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Elevator company cited in death at Levi's Stadium
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Bank robbery suspect shot near mall in San Rafael
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Amazon grocery delivery rolls into San Francisco 26 min ago
- MLB intends to ban plate collisions 47 min ago
- Spotify launches free mobile streaming service
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child 36 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world 23 min ago
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday