East Bay News
Inmate dies of apparent medical issue at county jail
MARTINEZ, Calif. -- An inmate at the Contra Costa County Jail in Martinez died Friday morning after suffering an apparent medical problem, a sheriff's spokesman said.
Around 4:10 a.m., an inmate notified a sheriff's deputy that his cellmate was unresponsive, sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
Jail medical staff and deputies responded immediately and began life-saving measures on the inmate, a 46-year-old Pittsburg man.
Contra Costa County Fire Protection District crews arrived at the jail and continued to try to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at 4:27 a.m. Lee said the man had "several existing medical conditions."
His name is being withheld until relatives are notified.
The sheriff's office and Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office are investigating the man's death, following county protocol after in-custody deaths.
martinez, contra costa county, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court 58 min ago
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown