East Bay News
Man killed in San Leandro house fire
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A man perished in a San Leandro house fire early this morning, according to an Alameda County Fire Department spokeswoman.
The man was the sole occupant of a two-bedroom house at 13115 Neptune Drive, where a fire was reported around 4:55 a.m.
Arriving crews saw heavy smoke and fire coming from the home's front door and window, fire spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.
Before crews arrived at the house, neighbors tried to help put out the blaze with a garden hose and an extinguisher, Knowles said.
The man was pronounced dead at San Leandro Hospital.
Firefighters were able to knock down the blaze in about 20 minutes.
An investigation into what caused the fire is underway.
san leandro, fire, east bay news
- BART and unions to meet today over contract
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Fiery big-rig crash cleared from I-80 in Pinole
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Gridlock in the Senate, progress in the House
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 1 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos