East Bay News
Teen girl fatally struck by vehicle in Antioch
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- Neighbors are pleading for safety improvements on a major Antioch thoroughfare after a teen tragedy. A car hit and killed a 14-year-old last night along Hillcrest Avenue at Hidden Glen Drive.
A memorial has been growing at the intersection for Hasanati White. Police said she was crossing Hillcrest at about 6:45 p.m. when she was struck. The driver stopped and is cooperating with police. White was airlifted to a hospital where she passed away.
At this point, police said alcohol and speed were not a factor.
Some parents said they will not let their kids cross the intersection because it is too dangerous.
"They drive like it's a highway. It's not a highway it's a road. People live around here. Instead of going 45 mph, people are going like 65 mph," said Antioch resident Shanta Mays.
"They need to reduce the speed because they are always speeding up and down Hillcrest and it is a problem," said Antioch resident Lashane Brown.
Some neighbors say they plan to start a petition to present to the city asking it do something to get drivers to slow down.
antioch, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday