East Bay News
Teen recovering after being struck by car in Concord
CONCORD, Calif. (KGO) -- A Concord teenager continues his fight to recover from injuries he suffered when a car hit him in a crosswalk.
14-year-old Joey Hornsby's teammates are playing basketball Friday night with their injured teammate on their mind. It's their last game of the season. Joey loved basketball and was on his way to basketball practice when he was hit by that care. His mom will be in the audience to cheer them on.
Joey been at Children's Hospital in Oakland since he was hit Monday at the intersection of Grant Street at Solano Way by a woman driving a silver Toyota. Joey's mother said Friday that he has major internal injuries and is still heavily sedated to limit his movement, but he's showing signs of improvement. "He responds to my voice. He opened his eyes when I asked him to open his eyes," Barbara Tancredy said.
Joey was in a crosswalk when he was hit. A City of Concord Traffic Collision History Report obtained by ABC7 News revealed that since January 2008, there have been 15 collisions reported to the city's transportation division, but Joey's is the only pedestrian injury reported. Police say the driver of the Toyota stopped immediately and cooperated with investigators. Drugs, speed, or alcohol were not considered to be a factor.
The Devil's freshman/sophomore basketball team's last game of the season is Friday night and Joey's mom will be here to cheer them on. "I'm going there to support the kids in their last game, on Joey's behalf," Tancredy told ABC7 News.
Because Joey is still in the ICU, his mother has limited visitors to room. She says it will be a while before they know the full extent of his injuries.
concord, crash, pedestrian struck, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game 45 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying 46 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Firework thrown into bleachers during...
45 min ago