East Bay News
Teen recovering after being struck by car in Concord
CONCORD, Calif. (KGO) -- A Concord teenager continues his fight to recover from injuries he suffered when a car hit him in a crosswalk.
14-year-old Joey Hornsby's teammates are playing basketball Friday night with their injured teammate on their mind. It's their last game of the season. Joey loved basketball and was on his way to basketball practice when he was hit by that care. His mom will be in the audience to cheer them on.
Joey been at Children's Hospital in Oakland since he was hit Monday at the intersection of Grant Street at Solano Way by a woman driving a silver Toyota. Joey's mother said Friday that he has major internal injuries and is still heavily sedated to limit his movement, but he's showing signs of improvement. "He responds to my voice. He opened his eyes when I asked him to open his eyes," Barbara Tancredy said.
Joey was in a crosswalk when he was hit. A City of Concord Traffic Collision History Report obtained by ABC7 News revealed that since January 2008, there have been 15 collisions reported to the city's transportation division, but Joey's is the only pedestrian injury reported. Police say the driver of the Toyota stopped immediately and cooperated with investigators. Drugs, speed, or alcohol were not considered to be a factor.
The Devil's freshman/sophomore basketball team's last game of the season is Friday night and Joey's mom will be here to cheer them on. "I'm going there to support the kids in their last game, on Joey's behalf," Tancredy told ABC7 News.
Because Joey is still in the ICU, his mother has limited visitors to room. She says it will be a while before they know the full extent of his injuries.
concord, crash, pedestrian struck, east bay news
- Freeze Warning remains in effect across Bay Area
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela 19 min ago
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Speeding driver rear-ends San Jose police officer 21 min ago
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs added 13 min ago
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Hate crime task force; Suspect fatally shot
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos