East Bay News
21-year-old ID'd as driver killed in SUV crash
HAYWARD, Calif. -- A 21-year-old man has been identified as the victim in a fatal crash in Hayward late Thursday night, according to the Alameda County coroner's bureau.
Jose Gomez-Jacobo, whose city of residence was not immediately available, was killed in a crash reported around 11:30 p.m. near 30640 San Clemente St., police said.
A Ford SUV was found with Gomez-Jacobo in the driver's seat, police said.
Police believe the vehicle was traveling north on San Clemente Street as it approached San Antonio Street when it went off the roadway.
The SUV crashed into a fire hydrant and then a tree, causing major damage to the driver's side of the car.
Gomez-Jacobo was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
Based on the extent of damage done to the vehicle, police said it is possible that speed may have been a factor in the crash.
Police have not determined whether drug or alcohol use were contributing factors in the accident.
crash, hayward, east bay news
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado
- Surprise sting targets passenger vehicles at SFO
- Cause of grass fire in San Jose under investigation
- Wand used to heat wrinkles away 2 min ago
- Safety recommendations released for America's Cup
- Immigrant families disappointed by Feinstein's vote
- Super Bowl 50 bid committee returns to Bay Area
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino opening
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- Homeless woman defies odds, graduates from UOP
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday