East Bay News
Ex-con charged with murdering artist last June
OAKLAD, Calif. -- OAKLAND (BCN) A convicted burglar has been charged with murder for the stabbing death of award-winning artist Michael Thorn Bradley in West Oakland last June, according to prosecutors.
The decomposed body of Bradley, 67, was found at his duplex in the 3300 block of Market Street at about 9:20 a.m. on June 14.
The Alameda County District Attorney's Office alleges in a criminal complaint it filed against 59-year-old Gregory Hall earlier this week that he murdered Bradley with a knife sometime between June 11 and June 14.
If he is convicted, Hall could face a lengthy state prison term because he is being prosecuted under California's three strikes law, as he has prior convictions for first-degree residential burglary in 1997 and 1999.
According to Bradley's website, he was born in New York City and obtained bachelor's, master's and master of fine arts degrees from the University of California at Berkeley between 1971 and 1974.
Bradley's honors included winning the KQED Artist's Award in 1974, the Purchase Prize at the San Francisco Arts Festival in 1974, and the Bookbuilder's West Award in San Francisco in 1977 and 1984, according to the website.
He also won the William Andrews Clark Western Books Award in New York in 1984 and the Regional Design Annual Award in New York in 1984. </p
crime, murder, oakland, OPD, east bay news
- Freeze Warning remains in effect across Bay Area
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Multi-vehicle crash blocking lanes on Bay Bridge 29 min ago
- Speeding driver rear-ends San Jose police officer
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs added
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Hate crime task force; Suspect fatally shot
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos