East Bay News
Concord's CrossFit Adventure holds Sandy Hook fundraiser
CONCORD, Calif. (KGO) -- In the East Bay, a fundraiser was held at a Concord gym to honor a victim of gun violence. Charlotte Bacon was one of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. She would have been seven years old on Friday. All the money raised from Saturday's event will go to support families of the victims.
They were jumping, squatting, and toe-touching their way to health, and to help. Nearly 100 people packed into Concord's CrossFit Adventure Saturday morning. They came with donations in hand, and thoughts of the Sandy Hook massacre victims on their minds.
"When you hear about communities that might be struggling or going through a tragic event like this, the immediate response is, 'how do I help?'" said CrossFit Adventure owner Carolyn Scalia.
Scalia has a mutual friend of the Bacon family. Their daughter Charlotte was one of the 20 first graders killed in Newtown. Scalia's personal connection inspired her to help the victims' families. Her six-year-old daughter was also an inspiration.
"It hits a very personal chord, knowing that my daughter could have been in that classroom," Scalia said.
The two person teams did a special WOD, or "workout of the day." Each move had numerical significance. They did as many rounds as possible in 14 minutes to mark the tragedy that happened on the 14th day of December; 12 toes to bar, 12 for the month of December; six squat cleans, Charlotte's age that fateful day; 22 box jumps for February 22nd, which would have been Charlotte's 7th birthday.
"It was a very difficult time," participant Amanda Tamo said. "When they mentioned to me that her birthday was yesterday, it was, that really hit me hard."
Fellow participant Gabe Rapisardo added, "I just feel blessed to be happy, healthy, and alive myself. So coming out and being able to do something like this is good. It's just a reminder of how lucky we all are."
concord, fitness, fundraiser, connecticut school shooting, children, shooting, guns, east bay news
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting 34 min ago
- Police investigate shootings that hospitalized two men 17 min ago
- FEMA to fund removal of trees from East Bay Hills
- Credit card skimming devices found at 2 gas stations 6 min ago
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- abcnews: Rumor: Beyonce pregnant with 2nd child
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Bay to Breakers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday