East Bay News
Union City police fatally shoot suspect after foot chase
UNION CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- Union City police officers shot and killed an armed suspect Saturday evening. The shooting happened at 10:00 p.m. on Dyer Street south of Meteor Way, after two patrol officers attempted to stop a vehicle.
The suspect got out of the car and tried to run away, but officers were able to catch up to him. Police say the man reached into his waistband and pulled out a handgun, aiming it at the officers. That's when police fired their guns and shot the suspect several times.
The suspect was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. Police say they found a loaded gun at the scene.
Both officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave. The shooting is under investigation.
Authorities are asking anyone with information about the shooting to please call the Union City Police Department.
shooting, hayward, east bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos