East Bay News
$33M winning Walnut Creek lotto ticket yet to be claimed
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- Someone in the Bay Area woke up $33 million richer Thursday morning. A winning SuperLotto Plus ticket was sold in Walnut Creek at the Heather Farm Shell station on Ygnacio Valley Road. There are actually two lucky winners because the store owner gets one half of one percent of the jackpot which comes out to be about $165,000.
So far, the lucky jackpot winner has not come forward to claim their $33 million. The winning ticket was bought less than an hour before the drawing at 8:00 Wednesday night and the store where it was purchased isn't a place where enthusiasm for the lottery runs high.
"I don't play it because I'm just not that lucky," Clayton resident R.J. Roach said. On Wednesday, only nine customers bought $32 worth of California SuperLotto tickets there. "We don't sell too much, but I think now it will be, definitely," store manager Deep Singh said.
"I don't really believe in luck and I like to work for what I get," Concord resident Isabel Harrison told ABC7 News Thursday. Maybe it hasn't sunk in yet. It was a $33 million jackpot that had been growing since December 22 and now, a single winner who believes in luck spent $5 on a quick pick ticket and takes it all.
"Do something good with the money. Treat yourself well, treat others well. I hope he just doesn't go blow it somewhere like Las Vegas or something," said Ben Kurio of Antioch.
The winner has the option of taking home an estimated lump sum of $23.8 million or the annuity, $1.26 million each year for the next 26 years.
"That's a lot of money to spend, so I hope they help people and then of course, I hope they live a wonderful life," said Lori Ellis of Pinole.
The odds of winning were 1 in 42 million. The lucky winner has 180 days to clim their prize money or it will be given to the state for public education.
walnut creek, lottery, east bay news, alan wang
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 35 min ago
- Pleasanton students targeted on Instagram 34 min ago
- Sonoma Co. supervisor takes stand in peeping trial
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Group still fighting to save Ice Center in San Mateo
- Clippers beat Warriors 98-96 for 2-1 series lead 53 min ago
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland
- 11 kids, driver hurt in SoCal school bus crash
- Paul McCartney will play final show at Candlestick
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game
- Company seeks professional bruncher in SF
- 7OYS investigates Discount Gold Brokers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
35 min ago