East Bay News
Oakland Zoo welcomes three new pups to meerkat exhibit
OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland Zoo is welcoming three new pups to its meerkat exhibit, officials announced Sunday.
The pups, named Ayo, Rufaro and Nandi, are nearly six weeks old and bring the size of the zoo's existing meerkat mob to eight, according to zoo officials.
The litter is the first successful one among the meerkats in more than a year.
Meerkat pups are very fragile and it is not uncommon for members of a meerkat mob to kill pups, but the mob has taken good care of this litter so far, according to zoo officials.
"It has been wonderful watching the mob raise the pups," said Victor Alm, zoological manager. "It has truly been a collective effort and all the adults are taking their turns caring for and teaching the new pups their different roles and jobs needed to be a productive meerkat."
The sexes of the pups remain unknown so far because keepers have "been very hands off," zoo officials said in a statement.
Meerkats can weigh up to two pounds as adults. They live in social groups called mobs led by a dominant male and female, and the dominant pair will generally not tolerate pregnancies and births by other members of the mob.
Meerkats eat insects, scorpions, small mammals and even small reptiles, as well as small amounts of roots, fruit or vegetables.
oakland, oakland zoo, animal, east bay news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake 47 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco 31 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency 12 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security 52 min ago
- Police arrest man, 3 teens for attempted home burglary 35 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case