East Bay News
Oakland family expresses concern over missing woman
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The family of an East Bay woman is asking for help in locating her. Erica Maskaleris has been missing since last Thursday. Her family said Erica had a big week planned last week including a trip to see her brother in Texas. So they don't think she would have left on her own and they can barely imagine the other possibilities.
"It's just a parent's worst nightmare," said Gloria Torres, Erica's mother.
Torres is pleading for help for any information that will lead to the safe return of her 31-year-old daughter.
"You don't want to think those thoughts, but it's been days now. And we haven't heard from her," said Gloria.
Surveillance video shows a woman the family believes is Maskaleris walking past an Oakland bakery at Telegraph and 34th last Thursday morning. The bakery owner, Rigoberto Luna, is distributing copies of the video in an effort to help locate the woman.
"I hope that she's found and that she's not hurt," said Luna.
On Sunday, friends and family held a vigil and distributed flyers all over the neighborhood near the Maskaleris' home.
"She was supposed to fly out Friday morning," said Steve Torres, Maskaleris' brother.
Steve flew in from Dallas to help with the family's search effort. He says his sister was supposed to fly to Texas to visit him, but she disappeared the day before.
"I don't know exactly what could've happened. I just hope that there is some lead," said Steve.
Maskaleris is 5'3" inches tall and weighs 220 pounds. She was last seen wearing a gray sweatshirt, gray sweatpants and red tennis shoes. Oakland police told ABC7 News they are working leads in the case, but at this point, do not need any help from the media.
"I am confident that the police know what they're doing and they are going to follow all the leads and find her safe. That's my hope, that's my hope," said Gloria.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Oakland Police Department's missing persons unit at: (510) 238-3352
oakland, missing person, east bay news, laura anthony
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest 26 min ago
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum 20 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in... 5 min ago
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area home prices steadily rising
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos