East Bay News
Oakland family expresses concern over missing woman
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The family of an East Bay woman is asking for help in locating her. Erica Maskaleris has been missing since last Thursday. Her family said Erica had a big week planned last week including a trip to see her brother in Texas. So they don't think she would have left on her own and they can barely imagine the other possibilities.
"It's just a parent's worst nightmare," said Gloria Torres, Erica's mother.
Torres is pleading for help for any information that will lead to the safe return of her 31-year-old daughter.
"You don't want to think those thoughts, but it's been days now. And we haven't heard from her," said Gloria.
Surveillance video shows a woman the family believes is Maskaleris walking past an Oakland bakery at Telegraph and 34th last Thursday morning. The bakery owner, Rigoberto Luna, is distributing copies of the video in an effort to help locate the woman.
"I hope that she's found and that she's not hurt," said Luna.
On Sunday, friends and family held a vigil and distributed flyers all over the neighborhood near the Maskaleris' home.
"She was supposed to fly out Friday morning," said Steve Torres, Maskaleris' brother.
Steve flew in from Dallas to help with the family's search effort. He says his sister was supposed to fly to Texas to visit him, but she disappeared the day before.
"I don't know exactly what could've happened. I just hope that there is some lead," said Steve.
Maskaleris is 5'3" inches tall and weighs 220 pounds. She was last seen wearing a gray sweatshirt, gray sweatpants and red tennis shoes. Oakland police told ABC7 News they are working leads in the case, but at this point, do not need any help from the media.
"I am confident that the police know what they're doing and they are going to follow all the leads and find her safe. That's my hope, that's my hope," said Gloria.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Oakland Police Department's missing persons unit at: (510) 238-3352
oakland, missing person, east bay news, laura anthony
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault 56 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday