East Bay News
Hayward soldier fatally shot while serving in Afghanistan
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- Family and friends are remembering a highly decorated Bay Area soldier who died from injuries in Afghanistan.
Sgt. 1st Class James Grissom who was assigned to the 4th Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group died Thursday at a medical center in Germany.
Grissom was injured in a shooting while serving in Afghanistan, just days before he was scheduled to return home.
The 31-year-old from Hayward graduated from Mount Eden High School and had previously served in Iraq.
He received the Bronze Star Medal after his death.
Grissom leaves behind his wife, parents and sister.
shooting, afghanistan, hayward, military, soldiers, east bay news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 46 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 35 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events 7 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications 50 min ago
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty in corruption case
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos