East Bay News
Hayward soldier fatally shot while serving in Afghanistan
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- Family and friends are remembering a highly decorated Bay Area soldier who died from injuries in Afghanistan.
Sgt. 1st Class James Grissom who was assigned to the 4th Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group died Thursday at a medical center in Germany.
Grissom was injured in a shooting while serving in Afghanistan, just days before he was scheduled to return home.
The 31-year-old from Hayward graduated from Mount Eden High School and had previously served in Iraq.
He received the Bronze Star Medal after his death.
Grissom leaves behind his wife, parents and sister.
shooting, afghanistan, hayward, military, soldiers, east bay news
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery 3 min ago
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil' 16 min ago
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta 51 min ago
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case 30 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Officials investigating acid spill at...
3 min ago