East Bay News
Hayward soldier fatally shot while serving in Afghanistan
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- Family and friends are remembering a highly decorated Bay Area soldier who died from injuries in Afghanistan.
Sgt. 1st Class James Grissom who was assigned to the 4th Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group died Thursday at a medical center in Germany.
Grissom was injured in a shooting while serving in Afghanistan, just days before he was scheduled to return home.
The 31-year-old from Hayward graduated from Mount Eden High School and had previously served in Iraq.
He received the Bronze Star Medal after his death.
Grissom leaves behind his wife, parents and sister.
shooting, afghanistan, hayward, military, soldiers, east bay news
- Freeze Warning in effect for most of Bay Area 31 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos