East Bay News
Girl shot in leg with arrow home from hospital, talking about incident
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- The little girl shot with an arrow Tuesday morning outside the Lawrence Hall of Science is home from the hospital, talking and showing off the bandages she got after doctors removed the 20-inch arrow from her leg.
An x-ray shows how the arrow went all the way through 8-year-old Nadine Hairston's leg.
"I didn't know where it came from, so it was really strange to have an arrow in my leg," she said. "It hurt really bad."
Nadine was on a class field trip Tuesday at the Lawrence Hall of science. She was playing on the whale replica when UC Berkeley police say she was shot by the arrow from a crossbow.
"I don't know if they were aiming for me or the whale," Nadine said.
Police don't know either. A search of the area found similar arrows in the surrounding hills, but authorities don't know if they're linked to Nadine's case.
Doctors removed the arrow, which missed vital arteries. Through it all Nadine stayed calm, singing songs with her teacher.
"I was in the ambulance singing Taylor Swift," she said. "It helped a lot."
Nadine's mom is proud her daughter was so brave. Nadine hopes police catch whoever shot the arrow.
"Yeah, because it wasn't nice at all," she said.
Anyone information is encouraged to call UC Berkeley police. Nadine will return to school on Thursday.
children, berkeley, UC, uc berkeley, east bay news
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela 19 min ago
- Firefighters control 4-alarm fire in Concord
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Only On 7: SF kids describe obstacles in Tenderloin
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Golf pro charged; Xmas tree in Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday