East Bay News
Body of Bay Area Marine killed in Virginia returns home
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- An East Bay family is saying their final goodbye to the daughter they lost in a tragic military base shooting in Virginia.
A Delta plane carrying the casket of Lance Corporal Sara Castro Mata landed at Oakland International Airport Friday afternoon. A group of military veterans escorted her body to her home in the Oakley area.
The 19-year-old Marine was one of two soldiers killed by a fellow Marine last week at the Marine Corps Base Quantico in Northern Virginia.
The alleged gunman, Sergeant Eusebio Lopez, is from Pacifica.
marines, shooting, oakley, pacifica, east bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos