East Bay News
Body of Bay Area Marine killed in Virginia returns home
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- An East Bay family is saying their final goodbye to the daughter they lost in a tragic military base shooting in Virginia.
A Delta plane carrying the casket of Lance Corporal Sara Castro Mata landed at Oakland International Airport Friday afternoon. A group of military veterans escorted her body to her home in the Oakley area.
The 19-year-old Marine was one of two soldiers killed by a fellow Marine last week at the Marine Corps Base Quantico in Northern Virginia.
The alleged gunman, Sergeant Eusebio Lopez, is from Pacifica.
marines, shooting, oakley, pacifica, east bay news
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bay Area communities wake up to freezing temps
- Family, friends hold out hope for missing family
- Rally targets Sonoma County DA over teen's death
- San Jose firefighters battle mobile home park blaze
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Man grabs iPhone from pregnant woman at hospital
- San Jose lingerie company taking on 'Fit Mom'
- New video released of suspect who threw 2 cats into bay
- USPS looking for volunteers to answer letters to Santa
- Lockheed Martin challenges engineers to build a car in 1 day
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SJ police contract; Construction moritorium
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday