East Bay News
10-year-old Oakland girl hospitalized after being grazed by bullet
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A little girl was hospitalized Friday night after being grazed by a bullet. She was in her own yard playing when gunfire erupted.
"Everything happened so fast, just so fast," said the victim's grandmother, Sharon Dawson.
Just before 5 p.m. Friday, witnesses say shots were fired near near the Oakland Coliseum, at 82nd Avenue and A Street in East Oakland. SKY7 HD was above, where bullet casings littered the ground below.
Dawson heard the gunfire and feared the worst, "I just heard it, I reacted, I came out and the first thing I could think of was my children, where are my children."
What she found was her 10-year-old granddaughter, Nahla, running to her for help. She was frightened and complaining of a "burning feelin."
"She had got brazed in the shoulder, on the right side," Dawson said.
According to the grandmother, Nahla and her 8-year-old sister were playing in the yard.
"We're right here on our own property," she said. "They weren't outside the gate, they were right here, where they're supposed to be."
She says a bullet or something the bullet hit, grazed her granddaughter. Police will only say that multiple shots were fired. And identifying what hit Nahla is still part of their investigation.
"From there it was just like, trying to comfort her, and seeing if there was anybody out there that saw it," Dawson said.
Paramedics arrived shortly after Dawson called 911.
In a photo you can see the girl's skin is broken and irritated by whatever it was that hit her.
"They were taking precautions to make sure that nothing else fractured in there," Dawson said.
Nahla was taken to Children's Hospital Oakland for further examination.
"It's just really sad. I hate that innocent people get hurt," Dawson said.
All of this comes on the heels of a 1-year-old boy in Richmond being hit by a bullet. Both he and Nahla are expected to survive their injuries.
Police say the situation is still under investigation.
shooting, crime, children, oakland, guns, violence, OPD, east bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Consumer Reports tests gray hair touch up products
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale 48 min ago
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Boy struck by car
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos